Try out this recipe for Pomegranate Glazed Leg of Lamb with mint and oregano, courtesy of Karen Barnaby.
Oven temp: 300F
- 6 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) dried oregano
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) lemon juice
- 4 Tbsp (60 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp (10 mL) sea salt
- 2 tsp (10 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- 3-4 lb boneless leg of lamb
- 3 red onions, peeled and cut into 6 wedges each
Place the garlic, cinnamon, cumin, oregano and lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper in a blender. Blend until smooth.
Smear the lamb with the mixture, cover and refrigerate for 24 hours or up to 2 days.
Put the lamb in a large roasting tin and tip the marinade over the top. Massage all over the lamb and leave for 24 hrs in the fridge, or up to 2 days.
Remove lamb from the fridge 1 hr before cooking.
Heat the oven to 300°F.
Choose a baking dish that will hold the lamb comfortably. Strew the onions on the dish and place the lamb over top.
Cook for 1-1 1/2 hours until the lamb registers 130°F on an instant read thermometer.
- 1 cup (250 mL) pomegranate molasses
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) honey
Mix the molasses and honey together and pour over the lamb.
Heat the broiler to 450°F.
Place the lamb 8 inches from the heat and broil until browned, basting frequently with the juices.
Remove the lamb and onions from the pan and keep warm. Pour juices into a pot and remove the fat.
Boil over high heat until thickened and reduced.
Taste and adjust seasoning.
Slice lamb and place on a platter. Surround with the onions and pour the pomegranate sauce over the lamb. Scatter with chopped mint and serve.
Recipe credit to Karen Barnaby